Thursday, December 07, 2006

Romano's Macaroni Grill? Stay home!

The allergic diner had a frightful experience last night. I was out with a group of girlfriends for dinner at the famed Romano's Macaroni Grill. I say famed because all of them ooh and aah over the extensive menu and healthy-eating friendly selections. I elected to "make my own pasta" and promptly explained to the waiter that there was to be no sauce of any kind on my plate. I showed him my med-alert bracelet, to explain that I was not simply being difficult, and explained about my tomato allergy, in addition to my problems with oil, butter, etc. Sounds simple, right? It was pasta with onion and mushrooms, and when it arrived i simply added a little salt and pepper. I ate two or three bites of pasta, very pleased that I couldn't discern any additional seasonings or oil in the bowl, only to discover after the third bite, A TOMATO. An evil intruder in my pasta...i showed it to the waiter who was visibly upset and told me they'd make me a new one. When I said, "do me a favor, this time, please just a bowl of completely plain pasta so that it doesn't touch something in the assembly line," it was in front of me within 5 minutes...except this time there was oil on it!! The manager came over to apologize (and was perfectly lovely and sincere), but by now I was a little wary of ordering anything else from the kitchen.
Now I know chefs/waiters and the like make mistakes, and while I may give a snotty write-up on this blog, I don't like to make a scene in the restaurant, i simply paid for the dish and left. My husband now has a huge bowl of pasta for lunch today, and I ended up at home, cooking at 9:00 pm. Regardless of how courteous and quick to take care of things the staff at this particular Romano's was....when someone tells of a food allergy EVERY PRECAUTION SHOULD BE TAKEN TO MAKE SURE IT IS FOLLOWED!! Thankfully nothing I had eaten touched the tomato...but I don't think I'll be heading back there. My advice to my allergic readers.....the eater beware!

No comments: