Friday, October 19, 2007

All about me




I just received another question about my allergies (welcome to the blog Theresa!), and since I promised you a list awhile back, here goes.
To the best of my recollection:

My most severe is that I'm anaphylactically, off-the-charts allergic to latex.
Other horrible and quite severe allergies I have:
tomato (and ANY tomato derivative), bananas, avocado, olive oil, macadamia nuts, walnuts, cashews and pecans, paprika, oregano, celery seed (far more concentrated and thereby more evil than just the stalk version), tamarind, cantaloupe, and coconut

Raw food allergies that disappear when the food gets cooked (something to do with a breakdown in the chemical makeup, or so I've been told):
cherries, nectarines, peaches, blueberries, carrots, apples, red grapes, celery (it is an evil, but only when raw)

I am severely lactose intolerant and have allergic asthma.

While this sounds awful, I'm one of the lucky ones. I can go to almost any restaurant and order something "plain" (i.e. a dry baked potato or crab legs steamed without the old bay seasoning). It may get me strange looks, rude behavior on behalf of whomever I'm speaking to about my order, or unwanted sympathy (don't "poor me" - I'm out and I'm eating and I'm conquering this as much as possible), but it's mine, and I own it.
~Your Allergic Diner

2 comments:

All my love, Carmen said...

My daughter is anaphylactic with latex as well, and also has the same reaction to bananas and avacado. I've heard this is sort of common, and I wonder if it's linked at all to the latex.

allergic diner said...

Carmen!
Welcome to the blog! I've had several doctors tell me that it is all linked to latex, especially the banana allergy. I hope you and your daughter are doing well.
Thanks for stopping by,
Allergic Diner