Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Isn't it Divine?

Hi all - I realize its been awhile since I've posted, and for that I'm sorry. It isn't that I'm not eating and therefore have nothing to write about, but as is so often my excuse, work has been CRAZY!
When I was younger and diagnosed with lactose intolerance (in fact, I made the doctor's office "wall of fame," but who remembers things like that?) my dad was kind enough to take me to a local gourmet grocery store so that I could still eat like other human beings. I was an ice cream person, though once we figured out it was making me sick I stopped eating it. We found some dairy free/lactose free ice cream (let's use the term loosely, shall we?) that day, and that night I took out my pint with a spoon and triumphantly attempted my first bite...and promptly spit it out. It was AWFUL. I don't even know how to explain it, but it tasted like a cross between water and toothpaste, with some sort of almond. I never touched the stuff again.
On Monday I made my monthly foray into WholeFoods and stopped to look at the frozen treats section. There was a plethora of choices. That's right, a plethora (come on, I'm an academic editor who never gets to use the fun descriptive words anymore, so work with me). I chose something called "Good Karma Organic Rice Divine Ice Cream," and picked the chocolate peanut butter fudge flavor, all the while thinking 'what a waste of $5.00 this is going to be!'
Well, dear readers, it was unbelievable. I had a small amount Monday night, I had a small amount last night, and I will return to the pint to have probably a larger amount this evening. It was delicious! It tasted exactly like what they said it would. I can't wait to go back and purchase more flavors. It tasted like a lighter version of ice cream. It isn't something that would fool non-allergic husband, but it certainly has my vote. It has been so long since I've tasted anything remotely close to ice cream that I'm about ready to invest in the company.
Suffering from lactose intolerance now is a far cry from what it used to be 15 years ago. If memory serves, there were only two or three flavors and varieties of the water/toothpaste/almond version of ice cream available that day, and now there are dozens and dozens of actual, quality lactose-free options. As a side note, Good Karma Organic Rice Divine Ice Cream is also non-dairy, vegan, gluten-free and helps support a green existence.
As usual, thank you WholeFoods!
Yours in ice cream (even in October),
Your Allergic Diner

No comments: