Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I humbly retract my prior statement....



Good afternoon readers! If you'll recall, way back in the early days of blogging I wrote about something I like to call "the Panera problem." Essentially, my problem was that despite the book of ingredients, which is hard and fast for every Panera chain, their servers knew nothing and could not answer questions, but yet were offended when I then asked to see the book.

I promised a friend of mine that I would try simply asking for the book first and then writing a review of Panera. I made this promise months ago, and several weeks back she conned me into what I assumed would be another aggravating lunch, made so by an insipid cashier.

I must retract my earlier review. I went to the cash register and asked if there were tomatoes in the low-fat chicken noodle soup (some restaurants use a small amount of tomato base to thicken the stock, especially in the low-fat versions...read the labels at the supermarket sometime!). She looked me straight in the eye and said "You know, I don't think so, but I'd hate to give you misinformation, let me consult the book." She proceeded to show me the book, and NO tomato!

She was gracious, the soup was delicious, and I didn't have to demand to see the book myself. So with all due respect, Panera, I apologize. http://www.panerabread.com/menu/cafe/

~Your Allergic Diner

No comments: